Monday, April 21, 2008

Prep'ed the Cab

Other than thinking about rust, I've also been cleaning up the cab area so I can finally install the sound deadening + new carpet that I got from SewFine. Here's a shot of the cab as clean as I care to make it.




There are a few issues that I've got to deal with before I cover the area in FrostKing. There are a few small rust spots that I guess I better handle. My plan is to just grind it out and then POR-15 over it. Once I get the supplies I need I don't think it will take that long to get done.

Once that stuff is handled then I can finally install the FrostKing. I swear this wasn't supposed to take this long to do. With that in place then I'll go ahead and put in the new carpet kit I got. This might be a stupid idea given the fact that I'm planning to weld in the kitchen area but I never claimed to be a smart man. I'm actually still driving this van on a regular basis even without the interior. My wife and I are fostering a second german shorthair right now so if she and I both want to go somewhere with the dogs then the van is the only option. This means that regardless of the state the van is in, we are going to camp in it in two weeks. I'm just trying to get it back together enough to make that not unpleasant.

One other thing I did was removed the seat bases, cleaned them off, and spray painted them. This was clearly not the best thing to do but its a lot better than it was before. The swivel bases really need to be powder coated if they are going to look really nice and still function well as seat bases but I just wanted to do a quick job to make things look a little nicer for camping.

Speaking of powder coating, I've still got to get myself over to the powder man. I got a bit distracted when I figured out that if I remove my door handles then anyone can get into the van easily. That might not have been a big problem but I decided to just get a second set of door handles off of eBay for $30 so I wouldn't have to worry while mine were at the powder man. I'm also really excited to get the bumpers done. Ok I guess I should figure out when I'm going to make that happen and I should probably take the swivel bases with me as well. They are the perfect kind of thing to powder coat and they are supposed to be satin black. Dang, I really need to get on that if its going to happen before our trip.

0 comments: