Thursday, April 24, 2008

Best Idea Ever!

So I've been flailing around trying to figure out what I want to do to the panels of the Vanagon. I've thought about painting, upholstering, buying professional replacements, etc. but nothing has really jumped out at me as the right answer until now.

For the past four years I've have a spectacular corner office that has walls plastered with all sort of colorful posters, pictures, and various objects that I've collected over the years. Well, my company has decided that they want to try a new open office floorplan and everyone on my team is going to lose their offices. We're moving to a new space in a few weeks and all of this stuff is going to have to come down. I'm certainly not going to take all this stuff home but then again I'd hate to throw it out. A lot of this stuff reminds of of certain times and places in my life. Its a bit like a scrap book turned into walls. Anyway, I just had a thought. Why not take all this stuff and use it to cover all of the panels in the van! Sure it will be loud and a bit of a color explosion but I think it will be really fun. It will make the van feel really fun and I'll still have a use for all this stuff that I've got to get out of here anyway. If I ever decide to sell the van then I can just make some new panels or buy some replacements and then do something else with my custom panels. I've never seen anyone do this (hehe maybe there is a good reason for that) but I think it will make me really happy with the space. After I glue everything onto the panel then I will use polyurathane or something to get a nice clearcoat finish that would be easy to wipe down if it got dirty. This is going to be spectacular.

Oh and my friend informed me that there is actually a name for this and it is "Decoupage". Here is a picture of one of the walls in my office to give you an idea of the chaos that this will create inside the van.



I am excited now.

0 comments: