Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's All About Angle Grinding!

Yesterday I bought myself an 4.5" 10 amp Dewalt Angle Grinder and a 4" twisted wire wheel. This morning I went out to the van to take care of a rust spot that had created a quarter sized hole in the passenger foot well. Just to fully appreciate my new tool I decided to first try to tackle the job with our 18V Dewalt drill and a wire brush attachment. I made a little bit of headway but I quickly ran the battery down and it was clear that it was going to take a long time to do the job. Then I picked up the grinder and found my new favorite hobby. This thing just knocked the crap out of that rust and set sparks flying. It was awesome! After a finished grinding out the rust I used some rust inhibitor on the area and left it to dry over night. Here is a picture of my first grinding experience.



I've still got a few more spots to deal with up front but at this point I am ready to install sound deadening to all but the driver's side foot well. One thing that is interesting is that it looks like somebody made a rust repair to that area already. It looks like a patch or something has been put in place on that side. I'm not sure what it is exactly but it doesn't look stock. I'm kind of tempted to not mess with that side much and just put some rust inhibitor on it and call it a day. Then again, why skip out on the chance to do some more angle grinding!

0 comments: