Thursday, April 24, 2008

I Fear Fire

I gather from reading the Internets that spring is the time when many new people buy Vanagons. Since this is my first spring of Vanagon ownership I haven't witnessed this phenomenon previously but I'm here now and reaping the benefits. The Vanagon people are a helpful lot and in an effort to welcome the new owners the email lists are filled with helpful advice on the things that you absolutely must do with a new van. Some of these suggestions are accompanied by horrifying pictures showing you the consequences of ignoring their advice in an attempt to scare you into compliance. I've got to admit that their tactics have worked and I'm now terrified to drive my van until I replace all of my fuel lines.

Evidently high pressure rubber hose isn't really expected to last 24 years and the Vanagon likes to run fuel right on top of its exhaust system. Apparently this problem may not even be visible to the naked eye since the stock fuel line was covered with a fabric which makes it difficult to see rot. To complicate things the injectors themselves are attached to the same rot-infested fuel line but done so in a fashion that replacement is non-obvious. This means that most mechanics would just ignore the injectors and leave what is now bound to be 24 year old decrepit hoses filled with high pressure fuel positioned precariously above very hot and scary exhaust parts. From what I gather fire is a common problem and under the best possible circumstances would only ruin my day.

Now I've gone and just made the situation worse. Since I wrote that last paragraph I went and dug up a shot of my engine to have a look at the lines. In addition to looking old, I'm not entirely sure that the correct clamps were used to attach the lines. Firey Vanagon death looks almost guaranteed without a repair in the near future. I love overreacting.

In other news, I'm making progress on the sound deadening project. I don't have new pictures right now but I have gotten a lot more of the front cab done. I also put some primer on my rust spot from yesterday so by evening that area should be ready for the insulation. I figure I've got another day or two to finish and then hopefully this weekend I'll be able to put in the new carpet. Honestly I'm not thrilled with the color but it is really well made and should last a while. I really hated the dark brown that they were offering so I went with a caramel color that they had. Depending on exterior paint color several vans had this carpet and it looked to me like it might lighten things up against the black floor mats that I use. Granted I haven't installed it yet but I think I liked the color of the old stuff better but I'm really happy to be putting nice clean carpet in the van.

In other other news, I'm thinking of painting my dash. I found some automotive vinyl and plastic paint that I may use to paint my dash. I think I'd be happier with a black dash that has a few dark brown highlights. The only thing I'm not sure of is how long you can expect that kind of paint to last. I'll have to do some searching on TheSamba to see what I can learn.

0 comments: