Sunday, March 30, 2008

New Floor Mats!

One of the recent upgrades that I got was a set of heavy-duty rubber mats from GoWesty. I got a three part set for the front and a one piece mat for the galley area. Yesterday, after I did the fuel pump and filter, I got the mats in place. I really like the new look. In fact, I think I'm now just going to stick with the old carpet. It is almost covered completely by the mats so why bother replacing it. The areas that are exposed are low-wear areas so the carpet there is in really good shape.

I also replaced the rubber shifting boot. The old one was brown and rotting so I bought a new black one to match the mats. Putting the new boot on was a real chore. I had to take the shifting knob off of the shifter to do this replacement. It looked straight forward. There was a tiny hex bolt holding the thing to the shaft. I took that off and expected it to just rotate off. Sadly it did not. There was some really old adhesive on there that made it almost impossible to twist off. After much grunting and straining I was able to get the knob off and was finally able to get the new boot on.

Next I removed the emergency brake boot and used a couple of Armor All products on it to clean it up. I used some cleaning wipes to remove most of the dirt and kept scrubbing at it until it looked nice. Once I got it looking as good as I thought I could I used regular Armor All wipes to shine and protect the boot. It really cleaned up nicely.

0 comments: