Wednesday, March 12, 2008

More Fun With Wiring

By the way, I tried to start my van at lunch and all it does is click. It has battery power just fine but won't turn over. This concerns me because that makes me think that more is wrong than just a fuel pump. Maybe I am wrong but I would have expected the engine to turn over but fail to start due to a lack of fuel rather than not turn over at all. Hopefully I am just wrong and gas is required to turn an engine over. Time will tell. Regardless, I can't start the van. I really hope my engine isn't dead. Loss of power while driving could be a lot worse than just a bad fuel pump.

In happier news, I finally found the plans/software for something I've been wanting to add to the van since day one. I've found a site that describes how to setup a wireless access point that automatically connects to and amplifies the strongest wireless signal available. That will give me Internet access on any number of devices wirelessly from within the van. I'm hoping this makes it possible to do things like go park outside of a Starbucks or McDonalds and get nice wireless Internet from the comforts of my van. I might even have to sit out there and brew some coffee or grill up a burger while I surf. The site I found is http://www.nyetech.com/services/rv-wireless-repeater.htm and it is the good stuff. This will be available in my van at some point.

The thing that got me thinking about that wireless repeater again was that I'm reevaluating all of the electronics that I'd like to put in the van so I can plan my version two power system. This time around I'm getting some sort of solar panel and possibly multiple batteries. I'm also going to make sure that the stereo is running off of my power setup rather than the starter battery.

I'm also gung-ho to get built in water capacity. I keep having to haul these five gallon bladders on every trip and I'd like that to stop. I think it might be time to pull my reservoir, clean it up, and possibly rig some sort of a faucet. I'm not really a fan of the "sink" that is in there. Since I don't have a grey water tank I just don't think having a "sink" is a good idea. To me, a water faucet would be a lot more useful. I'm looking into what I could do to reroute the faucet to a more reasonable location. I'm also tempted to just remove all of the built in stuff. I've already got a replacement stove and I was considered removing the fridge. I might as well remove the stove, sink, and fridge in favor of more storage. Another way would be to remove the original equipment and replace it with my removable stuff. Like have a stove mount or a place to mount a cooler - you know, stuff like that.

0 comments: