Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Video Games in the Vanagon?

So I've got a few game consoles sitting around that I'm not using right now and started thinking about putting them into the van. I know I can at least get this Nintendo Gamecube in there since its small, has wireless controllers, has a 12V adapter, and a small display/speakers but I'm really not sure I want to limit myself to Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, and Zelda. What I really want to move over to the van is my extra Xbox 360. The problem is that this thing is a power sucking beast that would take up a ton of room and put off tons of heat. The massive power brick on it says that it outputs 213 watts at 12 volts. Even if I could rewire this thing to take DC power I'm not sure that I'd want to. Still, it might be worth having one of these for campground camping.

I've still got a lot to learn about how the electrical system is setup but I do know that expanding it is high on my list. First thing to do will be to add an axillary deep cycle batter to my rig. I want to get it setup so that all of the electrics run off the deep cycle battery when the engine is off but I still want to trickle charge the battery with the vehicle alternator. The van is already wired to support one so all I should need to do it pick up a good deep cycle battery and an install kit to handle the battery isolation. I've got an install kit on eBay that I've bid on for $12 so as soon as it arrives I'll start my battery shopping.

I'm thinking I'll want to go with a Optima Yellow Top battery based on a suggestion from http://www.bajataco.com. Before I found this Vanagon I was just thinking about building a camper setup on my 1996 Toyota Tacoma so I became a big fan of their site.

Anyway, once I've got my battery in place then I'll start looking around for a cheap used inverter. The main reason that I want one of these is because I've got a standard 110A outlet in the van that only works when I'm plugged into external power. That's a cool feature but it would be a lot better if I could wire it so that it runs off external power when present but will use a battery powered inverter otherwise. It looks like the camper electrics are just using household romex and 15A outlets so I should also be able to add a few additional outlets around the van. I may also replace the existing romex with armored cable just to be on the safe side. The wiring runs exposed through storage cabinets and I'd rather not risk damaging it.

Besides getting more 110A outlets, I really need to get some more 12V outlets. At the very least I want to add a few more to the dash area, one to the inside of the glove box for powering an ipod, and a couple near the kitchen for appliances. I've never really done any wiring with 12V stuff but I have done a fair amount of house electrical work and I'm hoping it won't be all that different in practice.

0 comments: