Monday, July 23, 2007

First Bit of Tech

So I just bought a used GPS receiver on eBay for $24.95 and I got a PS2 EyeToy from a coworker for $10 earlier today. I've just been looking around my office and I found a few devices that I just might have to sacrifice to the cause to get some display tech. So far I've got a display for a Nintendo Gamecube that will run off 12V but it will only do a resolution of 640x480 on a 5" screen (read that as there is no way in hell you will be able to read text on it) - however this little baby could make a really cool sensor readout or something like that. I've also got an old laptop with a 1024x768 LCD - its a little dim but might just have to do until I can find something better. I've also got a 2000 Pocket PC that could be good for something. Its got a nice high resolution tiny display and won't use much power so I might have to mount this guy in my sun visor or something.

I found some drivers for the eyetoy and got it up and running on a laptop. This thing could easily augment a rearview mirror but I'm not sure that I'd trust it as a full replacement. The refresh rate is a bit slow but like I said, mounted under the rear bumper it would augment the rear view perfectly.

Now I just need for my GPS to get here so I can try using a laptop as a navigation system. Once that works then I can continue my search for a cheap Mac Mini.

I think I'll also try pulling the laptop's LCD and see if I can get it wired to take a standard VGA input with a really long cable. If I can do that then it will really be worth seeing how I could mount it in the van.

0 comments: