Sunday, July 22, 2007

And so it begins...

Well the day has finally arrived. After months of researching vehicles, perusing classifieds, and staring longingly at campers on the highway I have entered the world of mobile living. Yesterday, I picked up the plates for my new to me 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon and drove her home. My assessment thus far is that this is hands down the greatest vehicle ever produced. Every inch utilized and optimized for maximum enjoyment this machine is truly amazing to behold. I've had many doubters along the way on my quest to find the perfect mobile living vehicle but the moment they set eyes on the Vanagon all that doubt melts away and is replaced by a strong desire to hit the road. This van is 4000 pounds of potential freedom and I can't wait to start tapping into it.

The downside is that before I can really start travelling in style she's going to need a bit of work. 1984 was a long time ago and her parts are definitely worse for the wear. Her engine was rebuilt about 60,000 miles ago but that just doesn't change the fact that the odometer reads 207,924. My hope is that the mechanical bits hold together while I address the interior aesthetic problems. I'm planning to pretty much gut the interior over the next few months in attempt to make her feel new. My intention with this blog is to chart my progress so I'll have a record of how far I've come.

Perhaps cliche but apt: a journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I've made my first step and now she's sitting out front basking in the sun. Its going to be a nice ride.

0 comments: