Wednesday, July 25, 2007

First upgrades

Today I got a few things in the mail to add to the old Westy. First off, I got replacement pedal covers for the clutch and brake which look really nice compared to the gnarly mangled rubber that had been attached to the pedals with about a billion two inch screws. I also got some new wiper blades which is great since I don't think the wipers that were on there had been changed since the late 80s. Last but not least I got a super sweet stereo to replace the ol' tape deck. It just wouldn't be right to hit the road without tunes and given the fact that I don't have any cassette tapes and the fact that the radio antennae is broken, replacement was my only option.

You should know though that I don't play around. This stereo is awesome. I picked up a used Sony CDX-GT610UI off of eBay for a really great deal. This thing does it all. My favorite feature is that it interfaces directly with your iPod. So with a single cable to the glove box I can power and control the iPod without even seeing it. The thing also comes with a remote which will be really handy in camp. Check out more features at http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT610UI. I haven't installed it yet because work has been a little hectic but I'm certainly going to before this weekend.

Speaking of this weekend, it looks like I'm finally going to get the chance to try out sleeping in the van. I'm not exactly sure where I'm going but I'm going to spend at least one night in a camp ground. I will finally have the chance to really test out how well all of the camping equipment actually works. I know the propane system has a leak so I won't be messing with it but I will be able to test all of the electrical components.

0 comments: