Monday, July 23, 2007

Bummer

I was just doing some research on recycling old LCD monitors and it looks like its virtually impossible. The problem is that most LCD panels in laptops and whatnot don't have an integrated controller to handle converting the output into the pixel color codes required for display. Typically with a laptop the controller is integrated into the motherboard of the computer and cannot easily be separated. I've read that if you want an LCD panel then you need to buy a standalone LCD monitor and take it apart or purchase a panel which includes a controller board. That's really unfortunate since I bet there aren't many LCD monitors out there which are designed to run on 12V power. Maybe it will make more sense to just buy a car specific monitor when the time is right. I saw 17" widescreens that drop down from a ceiling mount for about $200. I've spent enough on this stuff this month though so I better put this project on hold. I'll just play with my GPS receiver and webcam for now.

Then again I should be able to use the Gamecube monitor since it is a standalone unit. I should just have to rewire the input connection and fashion a power cord and I'll be good to go. It won't display text very well but at least I could play Zelda Wind Waker in my sun visor. There's certainly something to be said for that.

0 comments: