Thursday, November 6, 2008

I've gone too long without posting

I forgot to update after last weekend's work. I got in two days of painting on the van and am now ready for another 800 wet sanding pass. I still don't have complete opacity so it looks like I'm going to have to do some more painting passes. The van looks to be one color from a distance but when you get closer you can certainly see some issues. I have really grown a strong dislike for whoever painted this thing blue in the first place. Soo... much... work... This weekend we're having some family in town so I probably won't get in much time on the Vanagon. Plus the weather has been terrible here for paint this past week so I really don't mind giving the paint another week of drying time before I get in there and knock it back again.

One important bit of advice I can offer is to never leave your masking tape on your window rubbers for longer than you have to. I left some tape on for a week and the adhesive sort of melded with the rubbers. Now I've got masking trash all over my window rubbers and it is a real pain to clean off. I haven't gotten out the Goo Gone yet but I'm hoping that will make all the difference. If that doesn't work then I'm considering trying to sand the rubbers. Who knows if that will work but it seemed like something worth trying.

0 comments: