Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Starting to Look Good

Over the weekend I was able to get my fifth coat of paint on the Vanagon. This was the first time that I painted over an 800 grit wet sand pass and wow am I impressed. The surface is certainly not perfect but at this point it at least looks really glossy and reflective. The reflection is slightly distorted but that is to be expected without any sanding. The bad news is that I'm still not at a point where the paint is completely opaque. I don't know how many more coats will be needed but I'm hoping for around two. I am certainly going to need to make at least two more sanding passes before I turn to the buffer but I am pleased with the progress so far. At this point the van is really close to looking nice and I'm really excited to continue moving along on the project. I just hope the weather holds out so I can get this work done before winter really sets in.

0 comments: