Friday, November 21, 2008

Waiting For The Mail

I've noticed that I never want to drive my Vanagon more than when it is undrivable. It has been parked in front of my house all week just taunting me. My replacement fuel pressure regulator just can't seem to get here fast enough. I really wish that GoWesty had one in stock - those guys are super fast. I ended up buying one from Van-Cafe. They are generally awesome and send cookies along with every order but the UPS ground only option from California does make delivery times take a lot longer than I would like. I should finally get it on Monday. At least they are faster than Bus Depot. I ordered some POR-15 and a replacement panel for my rusty kitchen rocker like weeks ago and still have yet to hear from them. Maybe they didn't actually have the panel in stock? It doesn't really matter though because I'm not ready to cut that bad metal out right this minute anyway.

I do have a tiny bit of a paint job update. It may be my imagination but I swear my Vanagon is getting darker as the paint settles and breathes. This is really good because I actually wanted it to be a darker color than it was right after I applied the paint. I really do need one more coat of paint on too but I may just go ahead and do a 1500 pass and buff it out for the winter. I can always go back next spring when it warms up and do a few more coats. I don't mind thin spots as much as the heavy orange peel that I've got now. I may end up doing that wet sanding this weekend. Who knows - I might even post some pictures...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies were definitely a pleasant surprise in my first Van Cafe order about a month ago.

Ron Bloomquist said...

I recently discovered a great way to change out the coolant in the Vanagon. Instead of parking the right front wheel on a rock and bleeding via the vent on the top right corner of the radiator while running the engine and trying to add coolant all at the same time....

Get a PVC pipe that will just slip inside the "burp" tank. (Wrap the PVS pipe with some electrical black tape to make a snug non-leaking fit). Make sure the pipe is taller than the height of the radiator.

Then fill the system with coolant until it starts to come out the top plug on the radiator!! Volia!

Run the engine towards the end of this process to get the last of the air pockets, cap the radiator and then the burp tank and you are good to go!