Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Kitchen Rust Spreading?

Ok so the title is a little misleading but I do have another potential rust issue. The good news is that this rust isn't on my Vanagon. The bad news is that it might impact my 1996 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. The other day I get a letter in the mail from Toyota telling me that from 1995 until 2000 there was a flaw with their corrosion protectant used on the frames of every Tacoma. This has lead to the frames breaking down much faster than the factory intended. They said that I could take my Taco to the dealer (no matter if I am the first, second, or whatever owner) and they will inspect it. Once inspected they will either repair the problem or buy the truck from me. This sounds like a huge loss to me until I dug a little deeper to learn about the details. Evidently if they deem your truck to have a problem they will purchase it from you for 150% of the RETAIL Kelly Blue Book value for an excellent condition vehicle. For my Tacoma that would work out to around $9000. That ain't half bad for an old dirty truck with almost 200k miles on it. I'm setting something up with the local dealer this week to see what they want to do with my Tacoma. Either way it seems like I win so I'm not really all that concerned with the outcome but I am completely impressed that Toyota is taking steps like these to keep customers happy.

0 comments: