Thursday, August 2, 2007

More Interior Thoughts

Allison brought a few flooring samples home the other day for me to think about for the van. My favorite was this slick recycled rubber/cork hybrid stuff that looked really nice. Allison was saying that it would hide stains well and would be really durable. I'm pretty much sold on that stuff but there is still a lot more to figure out for the interior.

I'd like to figure something out for the upholstery in the semi-near future. Right now the driver and passenger seat have these crappy seat covers on them which cover pretty unusable upholstery. The passenger seat could maybe be cleaned but the driver's is completely shot. I really do like the original seats but they seem really hard to come by online. I think I'm just going to have to figure out a way to repair the ones I've got. The first option I've found is a nice custom seat cover. This option is fairly cheap and there are a lot of fabrics to choose from but I don't think I'd be able to capture that same slim look that the originals had. Here is a shot of a good condition original interior:




A better option would be to try to replace the fabric but keep the leather/pleather on the back. I've seen blogs from people that have done that and they look good. Another bonus there is that I could use the new fabric on the rear seat as well and be all snazzy. My problem is that I'm not sure who I would get to do it for me. I guess I'll have to google it and get some quotes. I can't wait to get rid of this fabric that's on the seats now though.

The cockpit carpet needs replacing also. I'll probably just get a replacement kit from one of the online places but I was hoping to figure out a non-carpet replacement. I was hoping I could use the rubber flooring but Allison didn't think it'd be flexible enough to handle the contours. New carpet isn't so bad though.

Finally, I need to replace the interior body panels and the headliner. I should be able to just remove the existing ones and resurface them. The trouble is that I have no idea what to put on them. I know that I don't want to just replace what's there with new stock material but I haven't found anything better so far. I think it'd be cool to get a fabric with some kind of stuffing in it that makes a design. I'm just not sure where to find such a thing.

One thing that will be great about replacing all this stuff is that it will give me a chance to reinsulate and sound proof the interior. I've read that it makes a HUGE difference when you put something like FatMat down everywhere. Right now the ride is noisy to say the least.

0 comments: