Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Time...


New paint
Originally uploaded by stuart_jeffx
When I walked out of my house this morning the light was too good to not take a picture of my Vanagon. Like I said, the paint job isn't finished but is at least good enough to appear finished from a few feet away. I don't expect anyone to consider this as "proof" that the roller paint job can work since I'm not even finished but I do think it is an excellent example of how deceptive a photograph can be. The van does look good from a distance but the closer you get the more flaws you notice. Once the weather improves I'll have to do something about those flaws and finally finish my never ending project.

Oh and this photo is taken after I believe six coats. The van HAS NOT been sanded in the past two coats and the last time I did sand it I used 800. My plan is to sand it with 1500 and then only paint panels which have issues. One other thing is that I still have not completely repaired my seam rust. I just loaded it up with rust converter, primed, and painted it. I did not put any body filler on it but was just trying to slow down the rust until I can do a panel replacement.

One last thing, if it isn't obvious, you should be able to click on the image to get a higher resolution. It was shot with a camera phone though so if you are hunting for flaws I doubt you'll be able to see them from this distance with the crappy phone. Enjoy!

0 comments: